Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happiness et Moi

There are so many different definitions of happiness that I believe it's kind of subjective.  But I think it's a universal truth that happiness is something we humans long to find because we seem to want nothing more than to be happy.  Now, I'm not going to lecture you on whether material goods actually make a person happy.  Hell, every time I get a new book or the latest Johnny Depp movie on DVD I am completely content.  But different things make me happy at different times.  What I've come to realize is that happiness can be as simple as watching a sunset or as formulatic as being proposed to, and if you know yourself well enough, anyone can achieve happiness.  Even though possessions and people might make you happy, you need to be the one to depend on if the situation calls for it.

I'm sure you're all wondering what makes me happy, so I made you a Top 10 List even though, I can assure you, many, many things make me happy.

Top 10 Things That Make Heather Happy  (Oh, and by the way, this is in no particular order)

1)   Knowing that Johnny Depp is alive and breathing and happy makes me happy.  I know it's completely obvious on my behalf, but I don't care.  Sometimes, the most obvious things make us happy.

2)  Writing.  I love to write: poetry, stories, novels, and blogs.  I love it.  I love it enough to get up at five o'clock in the morning to write.  And I'm good at it.  I'm not trying to be arrogant, but out of subjects such as math, science, history, or talents such as singing, dancing, playing an instrument, I can write.  I feel like it's my job, but in the best sense of the word.  One of my dreams would be, of course, to get paid for it, but if that never happens, I'm happy knowing that I can write a pretty good story, and on top of that, making my avid readers happy makes me happy.  The best review I could get would be "I could totally relate to (insert heroine's name here)" or "I'm totally in love with (instert hero's name here)."

3)  When me and my brother listen to prank calls online, especially with Frank Garrett.  There are so many inside jokes we have, and it's something we can laugh about.

4)  When my favorite song of the moment comes on the radio just after changing the station.  I don't care if I have the CD; there's just something different - special - about a favorite song coming on the radio no matter how many times you listen to it.

5)  The smell of a new book.  There's really nothing more to say about that.

6)  Jumping in the puddles as it's raining.  The rain in general, since it's so rare here.  And, of course, the smell after the rain.

7)  Playing with my dogs out back, and watching them run up and down the yard.  Plus, they leave the cutest footprints behind.

8)  Being comfortable enough to be myself.  I mean, I'm always myself, but in certain cases, I have to make myself more conservative than I have to be - like in family situations.

9)  Pride & Prejudice.  The 2005 version, of course.  Especially the raining proposal number one scene, the proposal number two scene, and the very last scene.  And I think I can assure you that the book makes me happy as well.

10)  Memories with my Papa.  So many good ones.  Just thinking about some of the things he's done around Christmas makes me smile.  Good times.

11)  (Sorry, I had to add this in!)  The fireworks at Disneyland.  Unless you've experienced them for yourself, I really can't explain.  It just makes me feel as though I'm where everyone wants to be, and I'm so lucky to be here.  And that all my dreams really can come true, however impossible they seem.

So I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has the capability of making themselves happy.  I'm not saying you have to be happy all the time; I agree that sometimes it feels good to feel sad.  But when you want to be happy, you can.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with the DVD player, Kiera Knightly and Matthew Macfayden...

No comments:

Post a Comment