Monday, December 21, 2009

Boys, boys, boys

Since the year is coming to a close, and because it is only natural to want to look back at what was in terms of what will be, I decided to indulge my analytical mind but only if it would compromise and let me think about boys.  Because I do so love thinking about them and won't resist any excuse to do just that.

But instead of focusing on merely this past year, I have decided to look back on my entire life and see the conclusion of which I have so recently drawn.

True, I have only been in one serious relationship that lasted for about a year and a half, but I felt I learned a whole helluva lot from it.  There are certain qualities that I have consistently desired in a potential boyfriend - we have the usual trust, honesty, mutual respect, and support.  Then there are my preferences - a sense of humor, intelligence and wit, good teeth, tall...  The list goes on and on.

But the biggest quality I find I am very attracted to is ambition.  I like it when a guy knows what he wants and goes after it, who doesn't cheat himself of his full potential.  This, of course, can lead to arrogance or confidence depending on the guy, traits I don't generally mind unless he's a complete dick about himself.  But I digress.

Another important factor in my quote unquote Captain Charming (because I'm not fond of princes if I do say so myself) is definitely chemistry.  I'm sorry, but I need to be physically and emotionally attracted to a guy before I consider an actual relationship.  I don't care how that shallow it makes me sound, it's true.

I am proud to say that I've grown out of my whole bad boy phase (as every girl will... maybe) only because my patience will not allow me the time to indulge in their silly, ego-building games.  And I don't want a guy who's an excessive stoner/alcoholic.  Sorry, but I've had too many personal experiences with the type, and they've all ended in nothing short of misery.  I do want a guy who can make me laugh, but I find that if he thinks everything's a joke, I can't depend on him to console me, or even to take me seriously for that matter (especially because I know I can be hard to take seriously anyways).

Right now, I find I'm attracted to the brooding types.  This combines the mysteriousness of a bad boy, but makes him so much more interesting because he's so confident in himself that he doesn't need to brag about anything.  And I always find that those who say less have decidedly more interesting things to say than those who talk all the time.  Who knows if that will change in the future?  And maybe future experience will give me cause to reasses my priorities in what I'm looking for the guy once more.

But hey, experience is always appreciated.

I must conclude that, however, that accents will most certainly never go out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment