Friday, December 18, 2009

An anniversary to be proud of

Fictionpress.com, for those of you who are not aware, is a website that houses original fiction written by an author, or, in the likes of me, authoress.

I have been there for a year now, and I feel as though I have accomplished so much.

Number of Stories Completed:  8 archived, 13 total 
Number of Novels Completed:  1 archived
Number of Stories In-Progress:  3
Number of Novels In-Progress:  1
Number of Words Archived on the Site:  782,172 (and counting)
Number of Reviews:  5,292 (and counting)
Number of Stories Planned:  5
Number of Novels Planned:  7
Number of One-Shots (A story that is only one chapter - a story unto itself) Planned:  too many to count

I know it sounds somewhat arrogant, but I feel so accomplished.  When I first began posting, I was slightly wary, unsure of how people would respond to my quirky way of writing - if they would accept it at all - and I was pleasantly surprised.  The biggest lesson I have learned from Fictionpress is (however cheesy it may be) that if you believe in yourself and you work hard, you WILL be successful.  When I first started out, I barely got two reviews a chapter, but because I updated frequently and responded to every review, my stories' reviews continued to grow and grow until even I was surprised.  I'm still surprised!

And this is only my first year.  Imagine what next year will bring!

I know for sure, however, that when people ask if I have a job, I tell them:  "Yes.  I am a writer."  Because I am.  So what if I'm not getting paid for it?  I enjoy it, and in my definition of the word, I am successful.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it through the first year. And double congrats for this first year being so accomplished! I can't wait to see what next year brings for you.

    Happy Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you. I had started reading your stories, and though they aren't the best, I can see their appeal. They are cliched, predictable yet shows signs of potential.

    I think the timing is also a factor of your success. This year, the best and most popular fictionpress writers like Myrika and SamanthaNicole left fictionpress due to their works constantly getting plagiarized, paving the way for new writers like you to get a chance.

    But so far, so good for you. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete