Friday, December 11, 2009

Do You Believe in Magic?

Because I certainly do.

Today, my friend, her mother and I all went to see Disney's Princess and the Frog.  As usual, when it comes to movies, Disney has a knack for making it easy to believe in magic.  When you wish upon a star...  A dream is a wish your heart makes...  A lot of cynics might say that this is why kids shouldn't see such movies, that it gives the unrealistic expectations. 

But I highly disagree.  If anyone has ever seen a Disney movie, we all know that most princesses - or female leads - have to work hard to achieve what they want.  And Tiana, Disney's newest princess, is not an exception.  In fact, she works incredibly hard for her own dream, because in this particular Disney movie, the message is - "A wish on a star can only get you half the way.  You have to continue to work hard for what you want."

And I truly believe that.  I believe that if you have faith in yourself, the universe will help you along the way with what you want, but you can't expect nature to do everything.  You have to step up and do it too.

I have wished on stars and I have picked up pennies (but only when they're face upwards).  I have tried and managed to find some four-leaf clovers, but I have never had a rabbit's foot (though John Dillinger was notorious for carrying them around with him), nor do I think I ever will.

I'm not saying that I'm the luckiest person alive, but I'm grateful what I have, what I've experienced, and I look forward to what I will encounter because I trust the universe - and myself - can only have good things in store for me.  Like Tiana, I'm not there yet, but I'm almost there, and that's what counts.

So wish on a star, dream a dream, sprinkle pixiedust, stardust, whatever you can find, on yourself, but more importantly believe in yourself.  As Vanessa Carlton sings, "You have your dreams in the palm of your hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment