Monday, September 29, 2014

High school ideals

When I was in high school, I thought I was in love with my high school history teacher. I was 15 going on 16, my dad wasn't much involved in my life, and I didn't have a male influence in my life. Looking back, I realized that he was my ideal man, the type of guy I wanted to be with. Was I in love with him? No. But I definitely had a huge crush on him and to this day, I can't talk to him or contact him without getting nervous.

Usually, girls look to their fathers for that ideal man. They look at the relationship he has with their mother (or significant other) in order to base her values and definitions of respect, loving, trust and the like based on that relationship.

I had that with my grandfather up until I was 14 years old, when he passed. I lost a bit of myself when that happened, and I turned into a girl that needed vocation, a daughter who talked back and acted like a brat.

I dated the wrong guys but I was always fine on my own. I dated a controlling insecure mam's boy who had no ambition in high school. I dated a commitment-phobe tattooed vegan who lived on his own and barely paid for any dates - dates we rarely went on.

Lucky number three was my husband. God, the man frustrates me, infuriates me and drives me crazy. But he is my soul mate. He knows me better than anyone. And in 5 weeks, we are supposed to have our first child together - a girl.

I know, deep down, that regardless of what happens to me and my husband, my husband will be involved in my dayghter's life consistently. He's reliable, dependable and stable. I know I can count on him. As such, he'll be her ideal man. And though we both have fiery tempers, we respect each other. We annoy each other and argue and love each other and laugh at each other and compete with each other and just everything. Is our relationship perfect? No. But it's the type of relationship I can only hope our daughter will one day be lucky enough to have.

In the end, I found my ideal man. He wasn't my father or my high school history teacher or Johnny Depp (though he came close). My husband is my ideal man, and somehow, he wants to be with me. Which means I'm his ideal girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment