Friday, September 12, 2014

Adaptions

I am obsessed with adaptions/re-imaginings/retellings/etc.

I love them.

I recently decided to do a retelling of Peter Pan, to be released some time next month. It'll be dark and very, very unique. I had written the story but something was missing. And then I got the idea to shift little things in order to adapt it as a retelling.

And then I got excited.

Whenever I get excited, I know I'm on the right track with my writing.

I'm not sure how people will respond to this particular retelling. It's different, and I know everyone says that about their work. But I promise, it's not typical. I don't want to reveal too much, but I will. Eventually.

Anyways, I love reading them too. I love the way authors reimagine worlds and characters and story lines. I love the feeling of things being different yet being the same too. It's thrilling and comforting at the same time.

Even if the writing is subpar or the author isn't well-known, I give it a chance, especially if the storyline is intriguing. The one thing I ask is to be creative with your characters, certainly, but please leave characteristic trademarks - things characters are known for, things that makes these characters recognizable throughout time - the same as the original.

As such, I can absolutely promise you that my Captain Hook will have a hook as a hand. Not a fake hook. Not a tattoo. But a hook as a hand.

And you know what? You're going to fall in love with him just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment