Saturday, October 8, 2011

Unconventional ships

We all have 'em: our favorite ships.  It's one of the reasons we watch a particular show, they inspire us to write numerous fanfiction, and, if the ship is unconventional, the mere chemistry between the two characters is the soul reason we shippers keep our hope even though it's most likely never going to happen.  Below are my favorite ships, some unconventional, some not, in no particular order:

1)  Penny and Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.  I'm all about opposites attracting and balance, and these two have that in spades.  Plus, the undeniable chemistry between the two actors is just sizzling.  I know Sheldon's supposed to be above romantic entanglements, but he's still a man, and if anyone can convert him - however tentatively - it would be Penny.  Plus, please tell me that you too saw how he looked at her in the pilot?

2)  Jeff and Annie from Community.  When I first started shipping this couple, I'll admit it was a pipe dream.  Older guy, younger girl is rarely portrayed realistically on television despite the fact that age gaps do happen in life.  The chemistry between Joel McHale and Alison Brie, like the actors above, is undeniable.  Instead of denying it like the producers and writers of The Big Bang Theory, Dan Harmon, creator of Community, decided to use it.  And now, as crazy and as unconventional as it seems, Jeff and Annie is canon.  See?  Dreams do come true.

3)  Booth and Brennan from Bones.  I know, I know.  Totally canon.  But I love those two together.  They just make me so incredibly happy.  It'll be interesting to see how the (SPOILER ALERT) baby will affect them.  I can't wait!

4)  House and Thirteen from House, MD.  Never going to happen, I know.  The chemistry is great, and out of all the potential people House could be with, I seriously think Thirteen would never ask him to change and accept him for who he is.  (It should be noted that in the first couple of seasons, I shipped House and Cameron, but then she got all crazy and I just went, "No.")

5)  Sookie and Eric from True Blood.  Please don't tell me I have to explain this one.  Seriously, I get burned just watching the two of them interact.

Bonus 6)  Gibbs and Abby from NCIS.  I don't really watch this show, but if any couple defines unconventional, it's these two, but I can't help it.  I love them.  They, too, have chemistry. 

Obviously chemistry is big for me.  So are the looks that pass between the actors (characters?) that might or might not be on purpose but are nonetheless there.  Logic has nothing to do with it, though I think I could give a good argument for all of these couples about why they should be together.  For me, though, it's more of a gut reaction, that these two should be together.  And I just go with my gut, more so than with my head.  Which explains a lot.

What are your favorite television ship and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment