Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hey you

Yeah, you.

I just wanted to remind you that you're important.  And beautiful.  And the guy/girl you're crushing on does notice you, but you overthink too much and try to talk yourself out of hope to protect your heart.

But guess what?  The heart was built for this kind of pain.  I've learned that my heart is one of the most reliable, crazy, and spontaneous organs I have (and seems to have a fighting brother-sister relationship with my head.  Why can't they ever agree?).  It gets beat up.  Like, a lot.  But it's still in there, beating, waiting for The One to walk into my life.  (My head still doesn't believe in this romanticism, but my heart is waning on it.)

It hopes.

My mind, it tries to keep me focused on what's really plausible.

I'm ashamed to say that the past year or so, I've been leaning more on my mind.  My heart's been through the ringer and I want to protect it from the excruciating pain of disappointment.

But my heart doesn't need nor does it want that protection.  It wants the opportunity to take a chance, and if it hurts, well then it hurts.  It doesn't matter. 

My mind likes to be in control.  My heart?  Not so much.  It lives to be out of control.  And for someone as organized as I am, this is scary.  Letting go, giving my heart the reigns, terrifies me.  But I think I'm ready to start taking chances again.

Which means that I need a little reassurance.  A confidence boost, if you will.  Then, as I kept thinking about it, I realized we all need pick-me-ups.

So you - yes, you.

You're beautiful.  And funny.  And smart.  And talented.  You are perfect.  You are going to be okay in life.  The world is a better place because YOU are in it.  And before you ask, yes, I truly believe anything in life is possible.  You just have to let your heart take over in order to start believing it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment