Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tarot Cards and other hobbies

I used to think that writing was my hobby.  But I'm hoping to turn it into my career.

So what do I do about hobbies?  While listening to music, going to movies, dancing, working out, and hanging out with friends may seem like hobbies, I believe they're more related to our desire as humans to socialize and communicate.

A hobby is something we do to occupy time, something we like but don't necessarily need to make money off of but still makes us happy nonetheless.

I used to think writing was my hobby.  But really, it's a passion.  I have to write.  I don't have a choice in the matter.

But my hobby?  I like to read tarot cards.  Some people believe in them, others think they're tools to communicate with the devil.  Many people are placed down the middle in this particular spectrum.  Personally, I do believe what they have to say but I also realize that the future isn't set in stone, and that I'm able to change it.

Which makes tarot cards so cool.  They offer guidance and help, explain karmic lessons you might need to learn, or reassure you that while it's bleak and hard now, it'll get better soon.  They tell you things, whether you want to hear them or not, and explain how to overcome the difficulty, or that someone's talking bad about you, or bad news is coming.

But they also reassure you in that you can always turn a bad card over.  Really, your destiny is up to you.

I like their symbology, learning about what they mean and how to interpret them in different situations.  But more than anything, I like that I can go them at any time, night or day, and they'll help me out. 

Which says a lot more than many other hobbies out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment