Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Last Moments of Freedom

As the clock ticks away the minutes of my freedom due to school starting tomorrow, I can't help but recollect this past winter break.  Currently, my brother and I are watching a documentary of The Simpsons because it's turned 20 (I'm, like, two months older, by the way) and we are laughing and reminiscing because that's what we do.

But when it comes to winter break, I would have to say that this is probably the best one I've ever experienced.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  It started out really rough.  We couldn't go anywhere because we didn't want to waste gas, we were living off of Top Ramen, and we didn't have a Christmas on Christmas.

However, we went to see our father up in Michigan, and we got to play in the snow.  Like, real snow.  But there was a heater in the house, so it balanced out.  You know it's cold when you breathe and you see your breath, but when you inhale, you choke on that previous breath.  Oh, and Dad hid our Christmas present in the snow and gave us treasure maps to find it complete with helpful stick figures.  Our presents were hundred dollar bills.  Yeah, my father is...  Well, I'll let you fill in the adjective.  My preference is unique.

When we came home (thankfully with no delays concerning airports - you never know with Atlanta), money was still crazy tight, but we had sunshine. 

And then, a miracle happened.  We got some money - not a lot - and had a real Christmas.  (A real Christmas that involved a palm tree as a Christmas tress and no unwrapping gifts unless Amazon boxes count.)  And being somewhat spoiled, I got what I asked for.

For New Years, we kept it on the lowdown.  Mom was falling asleep in her chair while me and Patrick watched Jennifer Lopez attempt a comeback in a gold catsuit with Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark.  The ball dropped, and the first thought that popped in my head was happiness and family - the most important thing in my life.  Followed, of course, by Johnny Depp.

Oh, and then we went to Disneyland.  TWICE.  Can you believe it?  Of course, I experienced my fair share of irony there (I've been walking into this park since I was kid, every time seeing that Mad Hatter hat.  The one day I actually attempt to buy it, they decide they're not selling it anymore.  It's okay.  I ordered one online, but still.); I always seem to.  But both times were amazing, and luckily, I did everything I needed to do there.  The fireworks brought tears to my eyes, but that was to be expected, and I zonked once my head hit the pillow.  That's how you know you've had a good day - how tired you are once it's come to a close.

I've been letting my inner Pussycat Doll out with their workout tape and dancing.  I've been a pirate more than a number of times.  I've been playing with my dogs.  I've been listening to Frank Garrett with my brother.  I've been shopping with my mother.  I've been playing in the snow with my father.  I've been writing my stories.  And I've been smiling, even during the tough times.

And you know what?  I'm pretty tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment