Thursday, June 30, 2011

Life's Collisions

Have you ever learned something in one aspect of your life, only to apply it to another aspect of your life?

For example, when I was in fourth grade, I learned how to play the clarinet and how to read music.  I found that piano music is roughly the same - at least the melody - and since I knew where the main C was located, I transferred my clarinet notes to the piano subsequently teaching myself to play the piano.  (With one hand, but still.)

Today, I went to watch prospective Ducks play a scrimmage against each other.  Granted, these kids (I say kids because I was older than the majority of them - and I'm only 21 years old!) aren't professional (yet) and it was a scrimmage (part of a training camp). 

They were good, for the most part.  I like to watch the goalies personally.  Of course, there was a lack of tension because prospective Ducks were playing against other prospective Ducks so everybody wins, and since they started 25 minutes late, I was worried about possibly getting a ticket because of my parking time limit.

But there were a couple of things that happened that I just cringed at.  Even I know you don't do stuff like this. 

Granted, I never played hockey in my life.  I've probably been ice skating only a handful of times.  But I played soccer for 7 years when I was a kid, on an All Star team and then to an APP team with the option to join club soccer.  And I was a defender the majority of time (sweeper, to be exact).  I can take what I know from soccer and prescribe it to hockey. 

Like never, ever cross to your teammate in front of your goal.  It's just too dangerous.  You never know if someone will make a breakaway, intercept the pass, and score a goal.

Or don't reach for the puck with your stick.  Get your body behind it.

And for the love of God, don't block the goalie's view of the puck!

But the scrimmage was enjoyable.  I always find it fascinating to watch people play hockey - it's the fastest sport on the planet, and it's cool to know that I'll have watched soon-to-be Ducks when they just started out.

I'm not on the ice so I don't know what it's like.  It's completely different when you're there, on the ice, playing the sport.  But maybe they could participate in a soccer camp.  Just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment