Monday, February 8, 2010

One little word

Okay, I'm going to be honest.  Before something happened to me today, I truly believed that one word was just too simple.  How could one word be so entirely powerful?  Even marriage promises are two - "I do" - (unless, of course, if you want to pirate it up and use "Yargh").

But I digress.

I'm only twenty years old so I don't have too much life experience.

However, I must admit that this particular word completely knocked me off my feet.  Of course, the circumstance must be very particular - the speaker of the word, how this person says it, the history of the two of you; the list goes on.  And the circumstance which it was uttered, at least for me, was very particular, and worked out in my benefit.  Very much.  I have no idea if it means anything, really.  Who's to say?  But it still makes me feel good just thinking about it.

The word?  It wasn't love or fuck nor was it amen or hallelujah.  It wasn't a yes or a no.  It wasn't a maybe or a like.

It was hello.

Do you really know what the word hello means?  It means 'I notice you and I want you to know that I want to acknowledge you.'  If someone you don't know (especially a cute, really tall basketball player) tells you hello, you should realize just how lucky you are.  In that one instance, you're special.

Now, I finally get why Renee Zellweger said and Beyonce sang, "You had me at hello."  I get it now.

And hopefully, more hellos will follow.  :)  

1 comment:

  1. What an enlightening thought. That is so true! Wow. I never thought about it. I have to say "hello" more often to people, especially certain ones.

    ReplyDelete