Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On being a Pussycat Doll

Okay, let's get one thing straight: I'm not officially a Pussycat Doll.  But I consider myself one.  Just like I consider myself a Cosmo girl.

But it's because I believe in what their message says: confidence in your career and your sexuality, and who you are as a person.  Being ambitious is actually a good thing.  Being sexy is not being slutty.  I could go on.

Anyways, the reason I'm talking about the Pussycat Dolls is because for the last thirty days, I have been doing their workout pretty religiously.  Okay, so to better understand it, I should probably explain the workout to you.  The workout is broken down into three different dances - Robin Antin is the creator and choreographer of the Pussycat Dolls, and she, along with four other girls, teach you the dance moves.  Then you "perform" the dance routines to songs such as "Don't Cha" and "Buttons."  This is preluded by a warm-up and followed by a cool-down.

Now, if you know me, I absolutely love to dance.  To be, dancing isn't exercising, it's expression.  It's freedom.  So I love it.  Plus, the moves are fun and sexy so it boosts my own confidence.

Many people have criticized the workout because the dances are really only thirty seconds, give or take, but this is great because it makes each workout (if you break it down by each dance) about twenty to thirty minutes.  At least I love it because it's not too long but it's not too short.

The most important thing, to me anyways, is the effect of the dancing not only on my body but on my mind and my spirit.  Thirty days have gone by and I already notice a difference, especially concerning my legs and arms.  But that's not why I'm doing this (though I do want a Kathy Griffin rockin' bikini bod by summer).  Well, that's a lie.  I do want to tone my body.  But feeling the effects of dancing has me doing it for other reasons as well.

Interestingly enough, working out makes me eat healthier.  After working out, I grab a bowl of fruit, not a cookie.  I'm just not in the mood for anything heavy and sugary, you know?  Not when I busted my booty.  Now, that's not to say I'm a crazy health nut.  I'm not.  I still eat cookies and croissants, but not as much as I used to.

The most important thing though?  I love myself.  Not that I never did.  I guess what I'm saying is that I appreciate myself more because I'm working hard for it.  When I look in the mirror, I see the elements of my hard work, not what I have to work on.  (Though I do have those days, just like anybody.)  And I'm much more confident in my body which makes me more confident with who I am as a person.

Being a Pussycat Doll is empowering.  And I love it.  I love me.  And not to be arrogant, but some guys... I think they love me too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment