Saturday, June 13, 2015

Promotions

My stepson is "graduating" sixth grade today.

I'm really proud of him, but to be honest, I expected nothing less. The kid is naturally smart, and when he tries, he only exceeds in intelligence.

But school is not just about being smart. It's about socializing, making mistakes, effort, tenacity, boredom, passion, falling in love, being heart broken, and becoming the person you're meant to be.

School is intense. He doesn't realize it yet, but he will.

His mom is already preparing for the worst, when it comes to him and girls in that she doesn't want him to jump into even liking girls. I understand that from a logical point of view - she wants her baby boy to stay young and innocent (and yet somehow, my husband's 5 year old son is watching rated r movies at her place like its nothing, but that's neither here nor there, just an interesting comparative between both boys). I'm not quite sure how I'll feel once I have my own son; on the one hand, I know from experience what puppy love, infatuation and heartbreak feels like, especially at such an impressionable age; yet on the other, independence in my children is important to me, and I want them to experience all that middle school has to offer.

I think Josh is both excited and nervous. He's accomplished something and it's exciting for an eleven year old to do so all by himself on his own merit that's receiving such fanfare such as celebrations and a school dance - his first. On the other, I think he worries what this next step may entail for him. There's a good chance he may not be babied anymore - or maybe his mother will cling to him, and turn the intense affection into overdrive?

Only time will tell.

I want what best for him regardless, and more than anything in proud of him. Congratulations, Josh. Live in this moment because it, like childhood, evolves much too quickly and fades with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment