Sunday, November 21, 2010

Like Sunday Morning

Okay, let me start off by saying I'm not an expert in love.  Like, at all.  But I've learned some things in my past encounters with the opposite sex in romantic settings and I've learned a lot with the guy I'm with now.  And I'm incredibly content so I wanted to share it with you.  Those of you who are reading, of course.  And interestingly enough, they have to do with YOU and not so much with the guy.

First and foremost, when you start seeing a guy and you start accumulating facts about who he is, you HAVE to do something: you either have to accept him for who he is or you have to move on.  And once you make that decision, don't look back.  I know it sounds way simple, but it's true - it'll save you and him lots of fights, tears, and insecurities.  There may be something he does that you're not used to (in my case, Goatboy didn't like to plan.  At all.  And he would ask me to hang out - seriously - a few hours beforehand - sometimes ASAP, and cancel plans last minute.  Though, he hasn't done the latter in a while.).  But you have to decide, okay, do I care about this personality trait more than I care about him?  I felt that I cared more about my guy than his non-planning capabilities and accepted that he's not like me.  And now I appreciate that trait because in a way, it keeps me on my toes.

Second, recognize that relationships are NOT like the movies, books, songs, television shows, fics, etc.  Another obvious one, right?  Well, this sort of ties into the first one because what if you're crazy for a guy who's not exactly romantic?  Well, have you accepted him?  I guarantee you that if he feels the same way about you, he'll show it (though you may not notice it because you have these preconceived notions of what romance is and what a boyfriend should be), whether it's walking you to your car, holding the door open for you, curling a strand of hair behind your ear, or other actions that may be somewhat subtle.  DON'T TAKE THEM FOR GRANTED!  You'd be surprised that guys today don't do this stuff.

And finally, expect nothing EXCEPT 1) faithfulness (if you're at that stage), 2) respect/being treated right, and 3) honesty.  Don't expect him to text you every day or to see you every day.  Don't expect him to pay every date or to ask you to spend the night.  Don't expect him to say you look beautiful the first time you have sex or to hold your hand in public.  Your expectations will not be met because you and him are probably on different pages in regards how either of you should act, save for what you SHOULD expect.  Plus, when he DOES text you or invite you over or whatever, he'll be doing it because he WANTS to do it. 

Anyways, that's my take on everything.  And I'm crazy happy right now.  But who knows what will happen in the next month - week - hell, who knows what'll happen tomorrow.  I'm not expecting anything, and yet I'm happier than I have been in a while.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment