Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Writing schedule

So.

I'm in the NaNoWriMo camp of July in order to finish Book 2 in the Stranger series entitled Finder. I'm just over 1/3 finished with the book, and I mapped out what I thought was a good writing plan: days off from work, get 4,000 words done; days I work, try to get some fine but don't push it.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

I'm not good at long chunks of time focused one one thing. It's not my focus, either. I love reading. I'm good in school. I just get bored.

So why would I assume my writing schedule should be any different?

As such, I had to modify my writing schedule. I've committed to waking up every morning at 5:30am to get 1,500 words in every day. If I can do that, I can finish my book roughly in the time that I need to finish it in. Getting up early used to be easy for me. But with a day job, a family and some much needed downtime, my creativity has been left high and dry. If I want to write - and write well, where I enjoy it and it doesn't feel like I'm forcing myself even if I maybe am - then I need to find the best time my creative juices are at an all time high.

Which has always been the morning for me.

Which means lots of early mornings.

Which is fine. The thing is, if I want this to be my job, if I want to take this seriously, I need to develop habits that reflect those values. And since this is important to me, I don't mind sacrificing sleep in order to do this.

It's worth it.

What are your writing habits? Do you have a daily word count goal?

Connect with me on Twitter - @heathercmyers
Connect with me on Facebook -
Http://www.facebook.com/authorheathercmyers
Subscribe to my mailing list -
Heathercmyers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment