All right, I'm not a huge television person, but there are some shows that I've become absolutely obsessed with. As always, if there is a hockey game on, that trumps everything else. However, these shows come in close seconds (and thirds, and fourths, and you get it!).
2. Once Upon A Time As I've mentioned in the previous post, I love Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold and the chemistry he has with Emma. You have no idea how long two weeks felt without an episode last Sunday. If you like Disney, adult retellings of classic fairytales, romance, adventure, action, and Robert Carlyle, I highly recommend this.
3. Alcatraz Okay, as you guys know, I love Alcatraz. The place. It's rich with history and such a fascinating place to explore, whether you're there for the prison, the inmates, or your parents and/or school forced you on the tour. I like the show, but initially, I thought it would track real inmates disappearing from 1963 and reappearing now. How interesting would that be? Infusing sci-fi with history with crime. Oh my gosh, I'm salivating just thinking about it. But it's not. Every inmate is a character. As I writer, I get it. It's easier to make up your own plotline, get everything to fit, when actual inmates will force them to omit things, change things, or make up things. But I really, really wish they would have done it. I love this history and it would have been so great to see it. I definitely still like it, I watch it, but whenever I see Ernest Cobb on the show, I still scream, "He looks so much like Alvin Karpis, it's ridiculous!"
4. New Girl I love every character on this show. No joke. I love Jess (and her theme song). I love Nick (I have the tiniest of crushes on him), Winston, Cece, and Schmidt (I have a much bigger crush on him). It's kooky and cute, and I love that Jess is beautiful, the biggest dork ever, but she knows who she is and rocks it.
5. Up All Night I have every single season of Married with Children on DVD and still have marathons. I love Christina Applegate, so once I saw the show and how funny it was, once I saw Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph, and it was on right after The Office, I was like, "I'm in."
6. Smash I've only seen one episode, but I love Katharine McPhee. I love Anjelica Houston. And when I saw Commodore Norrington (aka Jack Davenport) was a sleazy choreographer, I came aboard. (Hahahahaha!)
Oldies but Goodies - Shows that I love watching and have been watching since the show began (most of the time).
1. Bones Probably my favorite show. I'm literally counting down the days until it comes back on in April. (This is how my mind works: Bones will be back on around the end of the Ducks' season.)
2. House I had to sit down after I read that it was canceled (this season will be its last). At least I know without a doubt there will never be another House.
3. Modern Family More Married with Children goodness. Each character - even the kids - is cast perfectly. I laugh out loud through every episode. I just - it's so, so great. And smart. It's hard to find television like this.
4. The Daily Show/The Colbert Report I remember when Jon Stewart took over The Daily Show from Craig Kilborn. I remember when The Colbert Report premiered. These shows helped shape my life and I feel so lucky that they're both still on and will hopefully remain on for a long time.
5. South Park/Family Guy/American Dad Animation where kids curse, nothing makes sense, and, in South Park's case, is smarter than it looks.
6. The Office Okay, not going to lie. I miss Michael Scott. The Office is not the same without him. But Dwight and his kiss with the power of a thousand waterfalls saves the show. I'm not sure I'd still watch if he wasn't on it.
7. Glee/The Big Bang Theory I don't have to watch these shows on the original air date but I'll probably buy them on DVD.
Shows that should still be on
1. Community I know it's technically not canceled, but how is it that Whitney and Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea are both on, but this isn't? I need some kind of resolution between Jeff and Annie. It'd be cruel to make me wait!
So there you have it. By the way, it seems like I watch a lot of television. I really don't. If anything, I buy shows on DVD and watch them during the summer. Speaking of summer, notice that this list leaves out one of my favorite shows ever, True Blood. That's because it's not on.
What are some of your favorite shows?